Holiday Vehicle Theft Safety: Wrapped Up
The holiday season is a time for giving, a time for sharing, and unfortunately, a time for stealing. According to The Insurance Bureau of Canada, the end of the year is a routine time for thieves to steal from your vehicle or steal your vehicle altogether. So with holiday shopping in full swing, here are a few tips to keep your vehicle safe and safely stocked with gifts this season.
Gifts in the vehicle
- If you have to leave your vehicle with gifts inside, make sure they’re not in plain sight from the windows.
- Thieves are always looking for an easy target and you don’t want to be the one that gives them a break. So, lock it up —simple, but effective. Always lock your vehicle’s doors when heading out or getting home.
- What starts as a scheme to steal your spare change could devolve into the theft of your vehicle. Remove any valuables, spare keys or garage door openers from your vehicle when you’re finished driving for the day.
- If you have a garage, use it as often as possible when getting home.
On the go
- Whether you’re warming up your vehicle, or just running into the store, the “just for a minute” mentality can lead to theft. Do not leave your engine running or the keys in the ignition if you’re exiting your vehicle.
- Always wait for an automatic gate to close behind you when entering or leaving a controlled parking area.
Prevention is the best way to avoid being targeted by a thief, but when the unexpected happens, OnStar*1 can be there to help.
If your vehicle is ever stolen, OnStar Advisors are ready with a suite of services*14 that can help authorities recover your vehicle. If your vehicle is properly equipped, Advisors can help pinpoint your vehicle’s location, slow it down in safe conditions and even stop it from restarting to help police recover it. And with Theft Alarm Notification*15, you can receive a notification via text, email or phone call when your vehicle’s alarm sounds.
The unexpected can happen at any time. When it does, the last thing you want is to be alone. OnStar advisors are ready to assist 24/7.