An OnStar Advisor helped a concerned mother when her daughter suffered an allergic reaction after dinner
Originally published in 2013
Alaysia Grier and her family took a vacation for 4th of July weekend. They had fun swimming in the hotel pool every day, and even saw fireworks. But one day, a family dinner caused a scary moment during the family’s summer trip. “When I started to eat my throat got all itchy,” Alaysia says. “I told Mom and she gave me my allergy pill but the itching got worse and worse. Then I couldn’t breathe and I got real scared.”
Alaysia’s parents decided to take her to the hospital, but they didn’t know where the nearest one was. So when they got into their Chevrolet Traverse, Alaysia’s mom pushed the red Emergency button* to ask for directions. Then, the first Advisor brought an OnStar Emergency-Certified Advisor* on the line to offer more immediate assistance.
The Advisor asked Alaysia’s mom if she had an EpiPen® on hand — she did, but wasn’t sure how to use it. Alaysia’s dad pulled over to the side of the road, and the Advisor talked her mom through administering the shot to Alaysia’s thigh.
“And then she gave me the shot so fast I didn’t even know it and then I could breathe again,” Alaysia says. While Alaysia and her family did still go to the hospital, she didn’t have to stay long. She was soon back to normal for the rest of her vacation — and is undeterred about future summer trips.
“I can’t wait to go on vacation again this summer. Mom says she’ll pack up the Traverse and take us to North Carolina to visit relatives. That sounds like fun.”