If you have a student heading to college, make sure their packing list includes OnStar
As a parent, your first instinct is to protect your child, no matter how old they get. If you’re sending a college freshman off to campus this fall, you’ve probably wondered — who will help if something goes wrong?
OnStar Advisors are ready to help day or night, whether your child is traveling to and from college, biking around campus, walking to class or out exploring their new city. If they have trouble, get lost or need help in an emergency, OnStar* can help.
The OnStar Guardian® app* brings safety services right to your phone, so you can feel confident wherever life takes you. Plus, you can use it to see where family members are, including those who are off at college. Use it if you’re curious to know whether your college student made it back to their dorm safely, or have all the roommates download the Guardian app so they can monitor one another. Find all these safety services on the Guardian app:
- Mobile Crash Response, which uses their smartphone’s sensors to detect a crash — even if they’re in a friend’s vehicle or a vehicle without OnStar — and alerts an Emergency Advisor.* The Advisor will then call their phone and tell First Responders your student’s location along with details on what type of help they need.
- Emergency Services,* which can help them if they feel unsafe or unsure at any time. Simply push the app’s red Emergency button for a 24/7 priority connection to an Emergency Advisor who can offer guidance and contact First Responders. Our Advisors are trained to assist with things like CPR and severe weather, or even other circumstances where their safety might be at risk, like if they’re walking home alone from the library, or they’re in a completely new state and neighborhood and unsure where to go.
- Roadside Assistance,* so your student can get help with a flat tire or battery charge, even if they are in a friend’s vehicle or ride-share. They can also get fuel delivered if they run out of gas.
- Location Status,* which allows up to seven loved ones, friends or roommates to see one another’s location on a live map. You can even receive departure and arrival notifications to see if they made it home safely, and save favorite locations.
If your student is driving a 2015 or newer Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle, here are some other ways OnStar can help:
- Automatic Crash Response*: If your student is ever in a crash, built-in sensors can automatically alert an Advisor who can connect to the vehicle to check on their condition and notify First Responders of their location.
- Emergency Services: With just the push of a button inside your vehicle, your student can be connected to an Emergency Advisor who can verbally provide aid until assistance arrives.
- Crisis Assist*: Experiencing a natural disaster or weather emergency can be stressful for both you and your student. But OnStar can provide critical assistance during a crisis, helping to route your student away from danger and keep you in touch with each other.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance*: If your student’s vehicle is ever stolen, OnStar can work with local authorities to help locate and recover it quicker and safer.
- Connected Services*: Your vehicle has a number of service options to help your student stay connected to it from almost anywhere, including a vehicle mobile app* that can remotely start or stop, lock or unlock,* and locate* the vehicle on a map; an available built-in Wi-Fi® Hotspot* capable of connecting up to seven devices within 50 feet of the vehicle; and much more.
It’s normal to experience a wave of emotions when sending your kids off to college, but OnStar and the Guardian app make it a bit easier of a transition knowing someone can be there to help day or night, even when you can’t.